Yoga Teacher Training
We practice yoga because it makes our lives better - healthier, happier, more holistic. Knowing yoga's amazing power to change our own lives and open us to our truest and greatest potential, we're inspired to share it with others. And in sharing it with others, we come to learn even more about ourselves, to more clearly see the fullness of our lives, to live more consciously, to give more lovingly.
I teach yoga because I know from many years experience that it can make everyone's life better, regardless of age or condition. With a quarter century of steady practice and a strong background in education, I choose to write books on teaching yoga and to train yoga teachers because I believe in intelligently and passionately sharing the practice.
If you share these values - that yoga makes life better, that yoga is for everybody, and that everyone deserves the best possible teacher - then I invite you to explore what I have to offer. Like life itself, yoga is constantly evolving. By stepping onto the path of the teacher, you're opening to more fully participating in the creative evolution of this ancient practice that you know makes a world of difference in millions of people's lives. Keep breathing and become part of making that difference.
Develop the Skills and Knowledge for a Lifetime of Teaching and Practicing More Deeply:
- Develop a deeper passion and appreciation for yoga as a transformative practice.
- Study, refine and deepen your own yoga practice along with other highly motivated yoga teacher training students.
- Learn to really teach yoga - not a yoga brand or single style, but yoga.
- Gain a thorough and practical understanding the major asanas, including their alignment principles, energetic actions, variations, modifications, contra-indications, risks and benefits, enabling you to teach with confidence in a variety of approaches, including vinyasa flow, alignment-based practice, yoga therapy, and specialized styles.
- Learn practical yoga anatomy that's of actual use in teaching yoga - how the body is structured, held together, moves and stabilizes - in a way that makes practical sense in teaching real human beings.
- Learn the tools and skills needed for effectively and clearly teaching yoga to all levels of students and various student intentions and conditions.
- Learn how to plan classes based on clear principles of sequencing within and between each family of asanas.
- Learn the art and science of giving hands–on adjustments and other forms of assistance, one of the essential tools in guiding students in their yoga practices.
- Develop an appreciation for different styles of yoga and different yoga teaching methodologies.
- Learn to work with injuries, pregnancy and other specific or unique student needs in your yoga classes.
- Explore the received wisdom from ancient yoga traditions and develop a well-rounded knowledge of yoga philosophy, ethics, history and lifestyle practices.
- Learn about teaching in a variety of settings - yoga studios, gyms, businesses, schools, community centers, retreat centers and more - as well as the basics of opening a yoga studio.
- Have a variety of opportunities to tailor your yoga studies to your specific interests.
- Gain extensive teaching experience through practice teaching, apprenticeships and mentoring.
Personal Growth & Teaching Yoga
Yoga is a process for learning about ourselves and opening to our fullest potential. It helps us to expand our awareness and transform our lives in ways that make us happier, healthier and feeling more whole within ourselves and in our relationships with others in the world. Embracing these basic values is the starting point for becoming a good yoga teacher.
Participants in this program invariably experience a deep and lasting sense of personal transformation as all of the elements of yoga become clearer and better integrated as you explore every aspect of yoga in your personal practice. In contrast to teacher training programs that emphasize attainment, competition or mastery, in this program we look to explore, refine, deepen, expand and learn without end. The primary source of this transformative learning is one's personal practice, and it is in the practice of yoga that we gain the most insight into how best to share the practice with others. Because yoga is a process for self-transformation, there is nothing to master, no end to what we can learn and no limit to how much we can grow and share.
Developing Best Practices
While yoga practice is the key to developing as a teacher, the Yoga Teacher Training & Certification Program methodically prepares you to teach with creativity, confidence, and competence. Rather than focusing narrowly on a single style or lineage, it is designed to give you the skills and knowledge to continuously evolve as a teacher based on your own evolution, interests, and intentions.
This program is designed to ensure that you develop and integrate a comprehensive foundation and set of skills into the fabric of your life so that you flourish as an informed practitioner and creative teacher of yoga for the rest of your life. This takes time, effort and commitment. Starting from wherever you are in your knowledge, skills and experience, this program will give you the opportunity to progressively develop into the best yoga teacher you can be.
Over 2,000 yoga teachers worldwide have participated in my yoga teacher training workshops over the past 18 years. They have gone on to teach in a variety of styles, including Vinyasa Flow, Anusara, Iyengar, Bikram, Ashtanga Vinyasa, Restorative & Therapeutic Yoga, Power Yoga, Yin, Pre/Post-Natal, Kids Yoga and others.
What color is your yoga parachute?! Come explore.
Your Next Steps:
- Read the entire overview on this page, FAQs, and Testimonials.
- Choose the Certification Level (200 or +300/500).
- Read the program details on the 200-Hour Certification and +300/500-Hour Certification pages.
- Choose the Format:
- One Weekend per Month for 9 Months, OR
- 21-Day Intensive (Winter or Summer)
- Read about Fees & Registration.
- Apply Online!
Choose Your Certification Level:
21-Day Intensives in Santa Cruz - Offered Winter (January-February) and Summer (July)
2018 SUMMER SESSION IS JULY 6 - 26th
Complete the entire 200-hour training and certification in 21 days.
+300/500 training and certification is completed in 21 days + 3-to-6 months of independent studies and mentored teaching that can be completed through distance learning directly with Mark from anywhere in the world.
Daily Schedule: Mondays-Thursdays 8:30am to 7:00pm, Fridays-Sundays 8:30:am to 5:30pm.
Summer Sessions: July 6-26.
Please note that +300/500 students must complete 100 additional hours of Mentored Teaching and Independent Study after the 21-Day Intensive as explained here.
9-Month Format Weekends:
2018-19 Session Begins September 22, 2018
One weekend per month for nine months, August through April.
Saturdays 8:30am to 7:00pm, Sundays 8:am to 5:30pm.
2018-19 Weekend Dates: Sep 22-23, Oct 20-21, Nov 17-18, Dec 22-23, Jan 12-13, Feb 16-17, Mar 9-10, Apr 13-14, May 18-19
The entire training is completed in nine months.
Upcoming Teacher Trainings
Summer 2018: 21-Day Intensive in Santa Cruz
Special tracks for 200-Hour & +300-Hour Yoga Teacher Certifications
+300-Hour Requires 100 additional hours of Independent Study
July 6-26, Santa Cruz
Autumn 2018: 9-Month Weekend Program in Santa Cruz
First Weekend September 22-23, 2018
One Weekend Per Month for 9 Months
200-Hour & +300/500-Hour Certifications
Or call for more information:
200-Hour Yoga Teacher Certification Program
The 200-hour Yoga Teacher Training can be completed in either:
- A weekend format (one weekend per month for nine months), or
- An intensive format (21 consecutive days).
The content of each format is the same.
The tuition fee is $2,750.
+300/500-Hour Advanced Yoga Teacher Certification
Fulfilled by completing the 300 hours of advanced yoga studies (if you have a prior 200-hour certification). You are welcome to apply based on prior completion of another Yoga Alliance 200-Hour program. The tuition fee is $2,750.